“Organised” religion as such came to Highbridge a little late. Until the early 1800’s meetings were held in the homes of the people who felt religion had a place in the lives of the inhabitants of the town. In 1817 however, the local Baptists, who used to gather in the homes of their members, decided that the time had come to find proper premises..Read more here.
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST HIGHBRIDGE
In 1855 it was thought that Highbridge would become a commercial centre for Mid-Somerset, and for the staple trade of the district that it must develop in importance and population. Highbridge had no church and was too far from Burnham…Read more here.
The Methodist Church or Wesleyan Chapel in Highbridge was originally opened for services in 1865 owing its origins to two men. Thomas Hicks, a gentleman, and John Buskin a saddler, were named in the church deeds…Read more here.
The origins of the Mission Hall in Newtown Road are not known, it was possibly built as a Seaman’s Mission- (date unknown); it did later become the Plymouth Brethren Gospel Hall and was in use in 1933 but was apparently closed by 1952….Read more here.
GOSPEL TABERNACLE EVANGELICAL HALL
The ‘old’ Mission Hall in Newtown Road is now a forgotten building, except for its neighbours, who have to look at a building that is falling into disrepair. The porch is now (2004) covered with brambles and weeds, it is apparent that this old place of worship will eventually be demolished.
THE SALVATION ARMY
In 1883 on a Saturday evening the Salvation Army ‘opened fire’ in Highbridge and Burnham. Their first meeting in the Puzzle Gardens went off fairly quietly. People going to their places of worship on a Sunday were concerned that the Salvation Army turned out with a brass band…Read more here.