Highbridge is a market town astride the A38, 7 miles north of Bridgwater and 2 miles from the Bristol Channel coast. It is a town that has experienced many changes over the past two hundred years or so, but the arrival of the railway in the mid 19th century led to its development as a railway terminus and a thriving market town… Read more here.
THE TOWN SQUARE
The Town Square was once the focal point of the town’s activities, a gathering place and central area where the community would come together to celebrate… Read more here.
THE TOWN HALL
The Highbridge Market House Co. Ltd. paid for the original Town Hall erected in 1885 alongside the Town Square. It had a seating capacity of 600. The hall was entered from the Town Square, steps leading to the upper floor, part of which was used for a number of years as…Read more here.
A landmark seen by many motorists travelling through Highbridge in the 1950’s, on their journey south, would have been the Victorian style clock erected in the centre of the road at the junction of Church Street and Market Street. (The Cornhill)…Read more here.
THE RIVER BRUE AND CLYCE
The River Brue rises from a source in Kings Wood Warren, part of the Bruton Forest in South East Somerset and wends its way North West through the County to eventually flow into the River Parrett near Highbridge. Along the route it absorbs from the Somerset Levels… Read more here.
DRAINAGE OF BRUE VALLEY
In 1941 a Top Secret Scheme was discussed, the purpose of which was to drain the Brue Valley in order to provide 9,000,000 million gallons of fresh water per day for a new munitions factory. Many secret meetings took place…Read more here.
The Apex Leisure and Wildlife Park is situated on the Highbridge border, on land acquired by Burnham Urban District Council from Colthurst and Symons in 1969. A scheme for the future use of the area was proposed… Read more here.
In November 1975 a group of local residents met to discuss ways of improving the physical appearance of Highbridge, the outcome was an “Action for Highbridge” Committee. They were to set themselves the task of clearing the land around the Town Clock, part of the site being over the old lock gates that had controlled the original River Brue…Read more here.